FESTIVAL PASSES - $150
THE CHICAGO CRITICS FILM FESTIVAL returns to the Music Box for its Sixth Year! The event, runner-up for Best Film Festival in the Chicago Reader’s 2017 “Best of Chicago” poll, annually features a selection of acclaimed films chosen by members of the organization, a combination of recent festival favorites and as-yet-undistributed works from a variety of filmmakers, from established Oscar winners to talented newcomers. It is the only current example of a major film critics group that hosts its own festival, and it’s right here in Chicago.
Some early titles from this highly-curated, week-long festival include:
- THE FAREWELL - A Chinese family discover their grandmother has only a short while left to live and decide to keep her in the dark, scheduling a wedding to gather before she dies.
- IN FABRIC - A haunting ghost story set against the backdrop of a busy winter sales period in a department store and follows the life of a cursed dress as it passes from person to person, with devastating consequences.
- THE NIGHTINGALE - Set in 1825, Clare, a young Irish convict woman, chases a British officer through the rugged Tasmanian wilderness, bent on revenge for a terrible act of violence he committed against her family. On the way she enlists the services of an Aboriginal tracker named Billy, who is also marked by trauma from his own violence-filled past.
- LIGHT FROM LIGHT - A single mom and part-time paranormal investigator, is asked to look into a possible "haunting" at a widower's farmhouse in East Tennessee.
- THEM THAT FOLLOW - Set deep in the wilds of Appalachia, where believers handle death-dealing snakes to prove themselves before God, Them That Follow tells the story of a pastor's daughter who holds a secret that threatens to tear her community apart.
- MONOS - On a faraway mountaintop, eight kids with guns watch over a hostage and a conscripted milk cow.
- ALIEN - The Chicago Critics Film Festival is proud to present a 40th Anniversary celebration of Ridley Scott's sci-fi masterpiece in 35mm.
CLICK HERE to Purchase a Festival Pass. Full Schedule, including additional films, showtimes & special guests, will be announced at a later date.
Further details, as well as information on the previous editions of the festival, can be found at the official CCFF website at www.chicagocriticsfilmfestival.com. Follow the CFCA and the festival on Twitter at @chicagocritics and on Facebook here.